Thursday 8 November 2012

Strange Fruit

 
I have referred before to the poor hedgerow harvest in this area.  It came as some surprise, therefore, to see this in the hedge when we parked.  The hedge had just been trimmed, so it seemed all the more strange...
 
 

It appeared to be some sort of creeper or climber that had been chopped down and then replaced in the hedge by some caring soul.  Others of the same were close about.  Still, food for the Redwings and Fieldfares who were around, but not posing for the camera.


The walk was a short one from Lund Wold to Warren House Farm and back.  We were both recuperating from colds.  The drive is planted with a veritable arboretum of specimen trees which left me lost for identification most of the time.


 
 
There was an oak tree with no acorns (I looked) but a gall that looked a bit like beech mast.

 
 




A small conifer seemed to be working hard on next year's cones...



One tree ( I really, really should know this one.) had catkins and little seed cones...

"Is it Larch?" says Mrs D.  But the leaves look different.


A last bit of autumn colour...



Another tree with just a very few strange berries...




Yellow berries.  What has yellow berries?  I think this looked a bit like a Rowan.


By this time the sun was very patchy and the wind was getting up.  Getting a steady shot was getting tricky, so I think all the out of focus bits should be called bokeh (see previous) and I'll pretend I meant it that way.

A very attractive road...


At least I can recognise Hawthorne...



And finally, the reason I called this blog Strange Fruit...




No.  We thought about it and couldn't explain it either.

Apologies to anyone who thought I had taken the title lightly.  The original is here .

0 comments:

Post a Comment